Inode issues? Before reading this post I believe 70% of the people must not have come across the problem of exceeding inode count in their website hosting account but yes it is important for everyone to know about it. May be sooner or later with one or other hosting provider you may face this problem as your blog grows. I faced problem of exceeding file inode first with HostGator hosting account when I was not aware of the term and my hosting account was temporarily suspended.
Inode is data structure with keeps the track of files. As a general understanding inode limit can be taken as the maximum number of files that you can have on your hosting account. For inode count purpose every image, php, txt etc file is counted individually and you may not realize when it crosses the limit.
How can inode count increase with no warning?
- Frequent changes in website theme – When you change website theme new thumbnails are created many of times which ads extra image files to your account and increase inode counts. In case you doubt there is increase in file count you can delete the old unused thumbnail images.
- Site Hacking – With growing competition spammers count is increasing each day and hacking effects are very frequent. A very common strategy is to create thousands of pages on others website after hacking and directing all to their website. These spam pages exponentially ads to inode count and can cause problem to your hosting account.
- Use of outdated plugins and themes – Outdated plugins and themes generates loop holes which makes your website/blog a breeding ground for hackers.
Hope you find this information useful and can help you in protecting your blog against any inode count issues. Now you must be wondering where to see inode count? Following screenshot shows the inode count and you can find it in your server too-
Here are some tips which can help you in resolving inode count issue in your hosting account:
- Login to your file manager/ftp account and delete extra and unused images, files, thumbnails. You must always keep in mind that it is the number of file which matters for inode limit not the size of file, so guys every thumbnail counts.
- If you are a wordpress user you can delete unused plugins & themes from your website. You should also consider deleting the post from trash folder and unused content from media library.
- Prefer installing wordpress manually rather than using some quick install tools/softwares. I have no hard feelings against the quick install tools but if you are handing too many websites on one server manual installation is the best option to opt for.
I will be glad if you have something more to add but yes these are the proved strategies for right handling. I would like to suggest all my readers to know about their respective hosting account inode limit so that they can avoid any issue in future. Feel free to comment your query below or write me for any issue.
Tags: inode webmail login, what is inode, what is inode in linux, inode structure, struct inode, inode count